Tuesday, July 12

Mount Kailash

Today, its all spritual.
I used to hear of Mount Kailash and Manas Sarovar as a child from different people. It used to be a strange thing for me. A Place in Himalayas, said to be an abode for Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati (Shakthi), land where sages and rishis can reach through their dedication and meditation, land which is inaccessible for mere mortal. And then, various fables associated with it from all the ancient scriptures, like Ravana lifting the mountain with his hands, Lord Hanuma residing there in meditation for past thousands of years, in the form of an old sage, all these and many more...

The first time I had a chance to see some snaps of the Kailash Parvat or Kailash Mountain was when my paternal Aunt visited it in 1997. She made a trip to Kailash and Manassarovar in Himalayas, Tibetan region, now under the control of China. And when she returned, she brought some snaps of both the places. Its then that I saw the picture like above.

She explained to us her experiences there while doing the parikramas for Kailash and Manas Sarovar. She told that she felt like walking in a walled Kingdom and when checked, there were no walls, except stones. She also told me that no one can reach the actual mountain by crossing the dunes of rocks laid before it, and any one who tries cannot return

Her trip made me curious and I started doing research on Internet whenever possible on the place. I learnt many a things in the process.

Kailash PArvat is a place of worship for Hindus as well as Buddhists. Common belief for both is that its a land of Sages/Monks. Yet another common belief is that by doing the parikrama of the mountain for a certain number of times, you acheive eternity. Aunt was telling me that there would be a dog accompanying every piligrim and that its a sacred one. The same was confirmed by many in their list of experiences noted on Web. Some wrote that its the guardian angel and some wrote it as monks in the form of Dogs. But, once we are done with the parikrama, the dog disappears itsims.

I read somewhere that doing parikrama around the mountain, with concentration and dedication, will bring peace and tranquility to mind, body, health.

I read about the experiences of others and gained some knowledge. But, I am waiting for the day when I can visit the place and get myself immersed in the beautiful nature. I am waiting for the day when I can enjoy each and every moment of the trip, right from the trekking to parikrama and if possible, spend more time at that place. Awaiting for the call....