Tuesday, February 20

Chennai and Me - 1

First time I visited chennai was in 1985 I think, when I was doing my 4th standard.

I was overawed and and also confused on seeing huge roads, the big flyovers (Gemini and Kodambakkam), the parks, etc.

We got down at Central, and then reached Mambalam busstand (TNagar) to go to my aunt's house. they were put up near to the bus stand and we got lost. Cos, dad cannot speak Tamil and no one spoke any other language here.

My maternal aunt was at Kodambakkam and uncle as a film actor. He is no more now. But, then, he was a popular actor. There were always some one at home when he was at home.

We made this trip to Chennai as a part of the trip that we make to different places once in 4 years. We visited Snake park, some temples, and then, headed to Bangalore, to another aunt's place, from where we headed to Mysore. That was a different story at Mysore.

But, this first trip has still some memories, like the smell of the fish that comes when u get down at Central (you can still get it, but only on platform 2 now :-) ), the huge roads, the big trees, the magnificient Gemini flyover with different ways, endless roads, the vast mount road and the old buildings, and then, the famous sundalu from marina beach.

Many of them are gone now, or changed. But, the initial memories have not yet faded :-)

I made many trips later, and am now at Chennai. different experiences in each trip and I will note them here, sooner or later...