Tuesday, June 28

So Much in common, yet...


This is an image taken by a friend at Yjog Jakarta and I borrowed the image as I could not make it to the place.

Shown in the picture is the birth of Buddha.

If I had not mentioned about the place, then, many could easily take it for Indian Art. Just notice the striking resemblances between this image and the images seen in Indian temples.

Even culture is similar. At many places over SE Asia, greeting people with "Folded hands" is common. They eat rice and other vegetables. Traditional houses are similar to Indian dwellings.

I had been to a museum in Jakarta, and there in the displays, I happened to notice the script of Tamil as in Pallava period. The rituals followed are same as what we follow in India.

So much in common, yet so much difference. Difference in the practices of religion, dressing, all came over the time.

If a land as far as Indonesia can have so much in common, Pallavas ruled it during 12th century is a fact, but 12th century is long back, will we not have much in common with our neighbours? Those neighbours with whom we separated only 50 years back. I cant understand why the hatred is being pursued instead of brotherhood?

Personally, I would like to travel to any part in Subcontinent, without visa, safe and happily, visit all the lands where our ancestors dwelled, and make friends with the locals. Is my dream possbile to become true? Time has to reveal...